FanPost

3 Random Thoughts

I sure miss baseball: I know it's only November and we have long Winter ahead of us, but wow, I sure do miss baseball already. I miss my routine of enjoying a nice relaxing ball game at the end of my busy, chaotic days. Oh well, I got the Movie Network for the Winter, so that'll have to do. I tried to get into hockey again, but I can't. I just can't.

Lind/Encarnacion: I'm not too optimistic on having Lind and Encarnacion manning 1B and DH. To me, those are 2 holes. Now, if they sign another good hitter to go along with those 2 guys, and you might be alright. I think the biggest thing is that they need to keep Lind away from LHP somehow.

That being said, I get the feeling that the Jays have different plans. I think they want to give Lind another full opportunity, given his team-friendly contract. AA looks for players with upside, and Lind (given his 09 season) is one of those guys. Encarnacion, to a lesser extent is, as well. However, I don't think that this is the only reason. I have a feeling that there could be a possibility that we might see D'Arnaud earlier than say, a September callup. If the Jays want to make a decision for who will be the Catcher of the future (i.e. 2013 and beyond), they surely need to see how D'Arnaud plays on the big league squad no? And that, with a decent sample size? So I wouldn't be surprised if the Jays stuck with Jeroloman as the backup Catcher from April-June, with D'Arnaud getting the call as early as July

So how does that affect the 1B/DH situation? Say they split the Catching duties 50/50... In that scenario, they're not getting enough at bats. However, if by that time Lind hasn't figured out how to hit lefties, you've got platoon partners there, and also a couple of hitters that can spell EE.

Closers

John Farrell was talking on the Fan 590 today and was discussing closers. He mentioned Nestor Molina as an internal candidate. I think it's a fantastic idea. However, I wouldn't limit it to him. I would throw in Drabek, Hutchison and maybe Dustin McGowan in that mix. Basically, whomever doesn't make the cut as the 5th starter, gets a shot at closing. Let that person take on that role for a few years, then, if it makes sense, convert him back to a starter. In a sense, it's almost like following the model the Rangers have established for some of their better pitchers.