FanPost

Competitive Balance Lottery

MLBTrade Rumors has a post up that gives the details of the draft lottery to first take place in 2013 under the rules of the new CBA. It is very interesting reading.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/13-teams-eligible-for-first-competitive-balance-lottery.html

As the article mentions, there is an interesting mix of contending and non-contending teams eligible. The defending World Series champion Cardinals are among those eligible for the lottery, for example.

As Toronto won't get any smaller, does this mean the Jays need to spend more to improve the team to have the payroll equal what MLB and the new CBA deems as reasonable to fit its market size? Or should the Jays not spend and hope the deep system everyone is excited about fulfills most, if not all, of its promise? Another option would be to add to the system through trades of our established Major Leaguers, cutting salary, for more young, controllable and cheap options?

Whichever route is taken would please some and anger others. I've heard opinions here on BBB and on other sites that would support any of these options.

I would personally like the team to spend more, but not to go overboard and increase spending in a way that would potentially harm them for the future or deviate from the plan AA has in mind for the team.