FanPost

A First Base Option

Hanley Ramirez doesn't want to play third, and is looking to be traded. Since the Marlins missed out on Pujols, they are looking for a 1B. Apparently, their interest in Fielder is limited, as the added value from having a Latin superstar would have made it easier to pay that much for a 1B. I see an opportunity to satisfy several needs, obviously involving the Jays as well. The Reds don't have much at SS (Cozart does not have much of a bat) so they could look to make a move. Given that the Cardinals and Brewers could both be substantially weaker next season, this would be a great opportunity for them to make a move. They could bring in Hanley for a package headlined by Yonder Alonso (a strong prospect who happens to be Cuban). Here's how I see the Jays fitting into all of this. If the Jays are able to sign Darvish, this could make someone in their rotation expendable. Because of the additional salary taken on by the Reds, the Jays could make a play for Votto. Having the extra arm in the rotation could make Brandon Morrow the headliner of a package going to Cincinnati (including Lind/Cooper, Thames, an average pitching prospect). The Marlins end up with a young 1B who is ready to play in the majors, the Reds get a player controlled through 2014, and the Jays get an upgrade at 1B.