New York Post Thinks Blue Jays Will Get Yu Darvish

Minor Leaguer

There is a story in the New York Post saying the Jays put in the high bid. This would mean something to me if I thought the Post knew anything about it. They don't. No one outside the commissioner's office and the Fighters know anything. But let's look at the story.

Having made a posting bid above $40 million and possibly close to $50 million, the Blue Jays are the favorites to land the negotiating rights to Yu Darvish.

How do they know this? Because some people are guessing the Jays bid that much. They don't know.

There is a belief the Cubs also made a large bid on the right-handed pitcher but a number hasn't been attached to their bid.

There isn't a number attached to their bid? That seems to be a bit of a mistake, you would think if you were making a bid, you'd want to attach a number to it. Without a number, it really wouldn't be a bid. Oh, they mean that they don't know what the Cubs bid was? Well, makes it much the same as the Jays' bid.

According to several sources with knowledge of the situation, the Blue Jays made the monster bid on orders from owner Rogers Communications.

I'd love to know who the "sources with knowledge" are. Anyone really think that Rogers would try to tell Anthopoulos and Beeston how to run the team? I mean, I can see it the other way around, Alex and Paul deciding that Darvish could be an important part of the team and then making the case to Rogers, but the other way around? Nah.

Can you see it? Some Rogers executive saying "hey, my kid told me that this Yu guy is pretty good. Go offer him a pile of money. If you need a sweetener, give him unlimited free texting."

Though the baseball fraternity wasn't shocked the Yankees made a bid, heads shook over the rumored size of the Blue Jays' bid.

I would think the "baseball fraternity" would be shaking their heads at whoever tried to tell them the they knew how much the Blue Jays bid.

"He has better stuff than (Hideki) Irabu and (Daisuke) Matsuzaka,'' a talent evaluator from a team that didn't bid said of Darvish.

DiceK won 33 games in his first two seasons with the Red Sox, there was nothing wrong with his 'stuff'. Injuries and a lack of conditioning was a problem, not his 'stuff'. If Yu's is better then I'd be happy if the Jays got him.

Anyway, take the Post's story for what it's worth, they don't know any more than we do, which isn't all that much.

In This Article

Teams