FanPost

Reds get Latos...How this could affect the Jays

A lot of you ragged on my idea the other day that stated the Jays should make a play for Joey Votto. The conventional thinking was that the Reds had Yonder Alonso to play 1B and that they could not afford Joey Votto in 2014 when he hits free agency. Today the Reds traded Alonso to San Diego in what I think is a classic win-win deal for both teams. Alonso hits to all fields and has good walk ratios (11.0%BB rates). He should fit in well at Petco. I question whether the Jays could have done better than what the Reds offered for Latos. If you substitute David Cooper for Alonso (yes Cooper's Triple A numbers are jacked up by playing in the hitter friendly PCL, but he is a better fielder), Carlos Perez or AJ Jimenez for Grandal, Brett Cecil for Volquez (Cecil is controlled longer, but Volquez does have a higher upside) and Kyle Drabek for Brad Boxberger, I think you get a similar deal. I wonder if the Jays thought Latos was not durable enough (he's only averaged 3000 pitches/year over the last two years) but his K ratios was 24.2% over the last two years. I think if you add another pitching prospect the Jays could have offered a better deal for a guy who is only 24 and controllable for the next four years

The Reds now have another pitcher to add to their rotation but still need a LF and a closer. I think the opportunity to trade Votto is even greater now for the Jays. Adam Lind while posting an OBA for .309 and .315 the last few seasons still provide decent power at 1B with a very good contract that provides stability for a small market franchise like the Jays. A high upside LF like Travis Snider could thrive in a good hitting ballpark like Great American Ballpark. The Reds could find an arm like Kyle Drabek attractive since he's a power pitcher who could find himself in another market and survive in a hitters' park because of his raw stuff. But you'd need more to get Votto from the Reds who would take a big PR hit with such a move.

So why not add Yunel Escobar to this deal. Paul Janish at SS had a .521OPS, while Yunel was .782. A package of two (potentially three) controllable starters for the 4 years and a young pitcher who could be an impact starter d for a guy who realistically is gone in two years might be hard for the Reds to pass up.

For the Jays, if Hechavarria's glove is indeed Major League ready (according to many scouts it is), the Jays could get by with solid defence and limited hitting at SS if Votto comes close to his 6.9 WAR in 2011. Plus it would provide a huge PR bump since Jays fans are clamoring for a big move this offseason.