FanPost

Wasting Bautista

If the jays are not ready to compete, is there a point in keeping our right fielder? Don't get me wrong, I love everything Bautista does, but if the jays are not going to go out and get some protection for him, we can expect to see another 130 walk season. Lind does not exactly strike fear into opposing pitchers and never will. I'm not saying, go get Prince, although he would do the job nicely, but the jays definitely need another BIG bat that. I get that they don't want any long term deals, but eventually guys like Lawrie will ask for 8 year deals and when that time comes will they say "we don't believe in 8-10 deals" and let a homegrown fan favourite walk? Anyway, Bautista's contract is more than tradeable and he would get us a ton. So if the time's not right to spend on a guy like Fielder, why keep Bautista? Just to clarify, I would NOT trade him, but build a team around while he's in his prime. This post is not about trading Bautista, more about the jays philosophy.