FanPost

Oswalt

Rumor has it that Oswalt is now looking for a 1 year deal. Depending on that dollar figure do you think he is now a more worthy target.

Pros:

1 year, don't get locked into him for too long, may be more willing to prove his worth for one last long term deal (if you subscribe to the idea that players play harder in contract years).

Has name recognition value that could attract more 'common' fans (a reason why several on these boards are saying AA has to go trade for players).

Potentially buys an extra year to see what we've got with our young arms.

Cons:

Has had back problems that could continue to impact his performance.

On the decline performance wise.

Has never pitched in the AL, could be a bad thing if you subscribe to the idea that AL, and AL East has a negative impact on stats.

Given the names thrown around in return for the 'available' SP, this may actually be what I would prefer to see the team do. By no means would he be a long term solution. However, he might be enough to buy some extra time and not have to give up too much.