FanPost

Agents using the Jays' cone of silence?

It's been suggested on here before that player agents are just using the fact that the Jays will never say anything, to drive the market for their players. This got me wondering whether it could actually be happening, and whether we should be cool with it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was happening because the Jays don't say anything, so when we hear rumours that the Jays are heavily interested in whatever player, that report comes from the player agent or, in the case of a trade, possibly from the executives who got the calls from AA. So with all these players we've heard the Jays are heavily involved in, it's very likely the player agents are just saying that because they know the Jays won't refute it.

On the flip side, should AA care? I think this practice of using the Jays tight lips to drive up a players market may be sleezy and underhanded but it may actually work out for both the players and the Jays. If the Jays are among the front runners to get everybody then does that not give them more leverage with the guys they do want? The players AA will be signing will not be the top of the line guys, it will be the guys who can be easily replaced by another guy on the market. So if AA is the front runner to getting every single one of these guys, then when he goes into the negotiations the player has the understanding that AA could walk out at anytime because he's one phone call away from one of these other guys.

You may think that AA could be hurt by appearing to be bidding huge on big names because then the middle tier guys he's actually after will think he has tons of money to spend. But the above leverage in being heavily involved in every other guy, combined with the fact that he could simply deny it to the player and tell him it was just the player's agent using his silence, would presumably extinguish that hope.

Does this make sense? Or should I adjust my tin foil hat?