FanPost

Setting it up...

Oakland needs outfielders, the Phillies are apparently interested in Gio Gonzalez of Oakland, and it was reported earlier this off season that they are also interested in reacquiring Travis D'Arnaud from Toronto. The Jays could use an elite starting pitcher so is it being set up that the Jays could acquire an elite starter in a 3 team deal? Hear me out...

The Phillies have Cole Hamels who they reportedly won't be able to afford when he hits free agency after this year and in the past have traded one elite starter for another that they can control for a longer period (Lee/Halladay) so...The Phillies trade highly touted OF prospect Dominic Brown to Oakland for Gio Gonzalez (Oakland desperately needs OF'ers) and then turn around and deal Cole Hamels to the Jays in a package including Travis D'Arnaud?

AA would be dealing from a position of depth (catcher) as Arencibia is the starter and young/controllable already, AJ Jiminez and Carlos Perez are also in our top 20 prospects so there is some high end prospects to absorb the loss of our best prospect in D'Arnaud. Hamels would come in to add a dominating 1-2 punch with RickyRo at the top of the rotation though before making any move the Jays would require the ability to sign Hamels to an extension. Phillies would get a younger controllable starter for their long term needs and Oakland gets an elite young OF prospect who's ready to step in now.

This probably makes too much sense to actually happen but this time of year is always so much fun for baseball fans :)