FanPost

The DH Rule

Do you think that having the DH rule in the AL gives AL teams an advantage when pursuing heavy hitting guys like Pujols and Fielder because they get more value from a long term contract with the ability to transition the player to DH down the road? Do you see any time in the next decade when something will be done to unify the rules for both leagues to maintain competitive balance?

I think that within the next decade there is a good chance that we will see the National League add a DH rule. I think the biggest reason for a push for unification will be the new League realignment resulting in year long interleague play. During the stretch in September i believe we will see situations where there will be an American League team in a playoff race that is forced to play on the road against a National League opponent. Nobody wants to be the American league team that must end its season on the road in a playoff race and have it's pitchers batting and DH on the bench. Sure, one could argue that the other AL teams had just as many road games in NL parks, however September baseball isn't the same as May baseball and just because the Yankees played on the road in St. Louis in May doesn't mean its the same when the Blue Jays have to play them in the last series of the season in a playoff race (hypothetical but i wonder how many times Boston and NY will play NL teams on the road in September.) I believe that it will be the NL that develops the rule because it will have less of an impact on them to implement it with a couple of years heads-up then it would be for the AL to remove it. I doubt the Yankees with a aging ARod and Angels with Pulols till he's 50 would have any of that while they complain about having to bench those guys when playing NL teams on the road. I do think that there will be a huge uproar by National League traditionalist when this happens however much like when the DH rule was originally added and even with the changes to the playoffs with the addition of a wildcard, Major League Baseball and the commissioner will push it through despite the opposition. Perhaps it will be Bud's last move before he retires allowing the new commissioner to dodge some of the scorn from National League purists. Does anybody else think this could happen or is this too radical of a change to ever take place anytime in even the next 25 years?