FanPost

Fangraphs looks at the value of a first baseman's "scooping" ability

Link

Michael Lichtman looks at the effect a good first baseman can have on poor-throwing infielders. Basically, a good defensive first baseman can expect to prevent maybe 2 runs over the course of a season, while a poor defensive baseman might cost the team 2 runs. Since I think Lind has the athleticism and the fielding ability (especially since he'll have a full Spring of Butterfield) to be an average first baseman, it's unlikely the loss of Overbay will hurt us <em>on saving errant throws alone</em> as much as we fear.