Today in Bluebird Banter History

First up, Happy Birthday to Damaso Garcia who turns 56 today. If you want to read about him, he was number 28 on our All-Time Jays list. Last we heard Damaso wasn't well, so I'm hoping he's doing better now.

One year ago: the Jays traded for Dana Eveland. That didn't work out so well.

Two years ago: it was announced that Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steroids back in 2003. I was feeling sorry for him for a couple of minutes there, but fortunately the feeling passed quick.

Three years ago: the Jays avoided going to arbitration with Alex Rios by signing him to a one-year deal. A couple of months later we locked him up with a 6 year, $64 million deal that the White Sox are paying now.

Four years ago: Hugo speculated on the possibilities of a 'computerized strike zone' and 'instant replay' for baseball. Hugo is alway ahead of his time.

Five years ago: Mark W. analyzed the, then recent, signing of Jose Molina's brother Bengie. I don't know about you but I had forgotten that Bengie was a Jay for a season there. He gave us a good season, hitting 19 home runs with a .284.

Ten  Fifteen years ago, before Bluebird Banter came about, Dave Winfield announced his retirement. Dave spent one year as DH for the Jays, with a .290/.377/.491 line and 26 home runs. Winfield was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2001.