Bob Davidson: Menace or Threat?

I'm sure John Farrell feels two years older this morning. (Photo by Jeff Gross/Getty Images)

I thought I'd give my interpretation of what happened in that famous call last night.

A couple of games (April 5th) ago against the A's Rajai Davis was on second and a ball was hit at the shortstop, Johnny explains:

Unsung play of the day for me came in that big break out 4th inning. Davis picks a little screen play as he times his run to cross paths right in front of the fielder as the ball is coming in forcing the SS into an error. Safe all around with runners at the corners 1 out. He doesn’t do that and all of a sudden we have a runner on 2nd or 3rd with 2 out and not exactly primed for a big inning.

A fair bit was made of that play, it was commented on in the papers, I think Davis was quoted talking about it. Technically it sounds something like interference. If he timed his run to impede the play, well that's sort of the definition of interference.

Umpires notice when something like this happens. They read papers, sometimes the league will say 'watch out for this', sometimes it is just them that thinks I'm going to watch for this. Assuming Davidson is one that can read, he may have gone into this series watching for a similar play.

Bingo, last night we have a runner on season and a ground ball to the third base side. Now I don't think, watching the replays, that anyone could consider that play interference. Yunel did nothing to impede the fielder going for the ball. But maybe if you were an umpire who had that other play in the back of your mind, I don't know. I think it was a terrible call but I can see what may have brought it on.

How Farrell didn't didn't get thrown out of the game, I'll never know. I'd have been throwing things all over the place including an umpire. He showed remarkable restraint.

Anyway, just a lousy call. They happen and you have to continue on. Let's win this one today and keep on track.

The title, of course, comes from an old Spider-man comic. Everything I do is influenced by Stan Lee.