FanPost

I wish people would stop talking about...

...how good a hitter Juan Rivera is.

Juan Rivera had some very good years in the past. In 2006, he put up a UZR that was top 5 in the league. In 2009, he put up a 25-88 line with an .810 OPS. He's had a good career overall. But for crying out loud, that player is not the player we have.

Anybody who has been watching Blue Jays games can see the change in his game. His appalling .121 BABIP has nothing to do with luck. His mechanics are so far from being major league worthy, it's terrifying. His small, weak swing this year makes hitting the ball out of the infield a near impossibility. He can't run, he can't field, he doesn't hustle. He is a liability in every single aspect of the game.

Rivera will not be a Type-B free agent at the end of the year, and you'd be hard pressed to find a single team that would waste a roster spot on him, let alone give the Jays something for him.

It's time to release him.