FanShot

A Different View (from a different time) - What Starfish has to do with .400 hitters?

Now, this piece is not that recent - the collection (The Flamingo's Smile) was published at 1985. And, yes the stat that it deals with is BA, which some consider a rather flawed stat. And, yes. it's quite long, and the format is annoyin'... HOWEVER, the general argument is as relevant now as it was then. And, while not being smart enough to be a stats geek, I always find Gould to be a great read. Oh, and I almost forgot - Gould is a paleontologist - Baseball is just a hobby for him. Share your thoughts...