Good Start for Kyle Drabek: Jays Beat Tigers

Blue Jays 4 Tigers 2

Frank Francisco aged us all tonight. He comes into the 9th with a 3 run lead, gets a pop out, then a home run and a walk. Then a very deep fly ball to left. It was just a few feet short of tying the game. A line out to right ended the game but a 3 run save shouldn't be that exciting, for the lack of a better term.

Kyle Drabek gave up a single and two walks to start the game, but he got out of the inning with just one run scored. After that he went 6 more innings with just 2 more hits and 4 more walks. Two of those walks were to Miguel Cabrera. I'm ok with walking him. He did walk too many but then if you go 7 innings only allowing 3 singles, I'll ignore the walks. This time. Marc Rzepczynski pitched a perfect 8th.

On offense, it took us a while to get going, we didn't get our first run until the 7th, to tie the game. Then we scored 3 more in the 8th. We had our chances before that. In the 4th Edwin Encarnacion and Aaron Hill singled but a hard line out for Juan Rivera and a popout for J.P. Arencibia ended that. Then in the 6th, Corey Patterson lead off with a bunt single and Jose Bautista singled, but EE, Hill and Rivera couldn't bring them around.

But in the 7th, JP and Rajai Davis singled, John McDonald bunted and Yunel Escobar hit a sac fly. In the 8th Bautista singled, EE singled and Hill doubled bringing Jose home. Sac flies by Rivera and JP gave us our three run lead.

Escobar, Bautista, EE, Hill and Davis all had 2 hits. The only ones not to hit were Rivera (who had a sac fly) and Mac (who had the nice bunt).

Jays of the Day are Drabek (.266 WPA), Bautista (.157) and Hill (.137). Juan Rivera had the Suckage number at -.137.

We also had some nice plays in the field. Hill made a couple of gems. Mac had nice play at third, and then EE did a good job pulling it out of the dirt at the other end. Corey Patterson seemed to have too balls hit his way, he got to them all but he doesn't fill us with Gillette confidence in his approach to them.

6 wins in a row! Have to like that. The win put us a game over .500. Add in the Yankee's loss and the Red Sox 9th inning win (stupid Orioles bullpen) the Jays are tied with the Sox for second, 3 games back from the Rays. You also have to like that, for the second day in a row, Aaron Hill had two hits. He is looking so much better at the plate. Our, much maligned 4 and 5 hitters were 4 for 9 today.

Tomorrow Jesse Litsch (3-2. 4.04) goes against the Tigers and Rick Porcello (2-2, 3.93).