FanPost

Ray Gonzalez a Rotation Candidate?

No Jays game tonight.  I'm a little bored so I'll do a bit wild speculation regarding the rotation spot currently held by Jo-Jo Reyes.  Assuming Reyes is on a very short leash and the he doesn't stick around, and assuming they want to keep Cecil down in Vegas for a few more starts, I'm wondering whether the Jays would like to take a look at Ray (aka Reidier) Gonzalez.  It would seem, at least so far, that AA is very interested in looking at what he's got, and in particular those who he's about to potentially lose.  According to the link below, Gonzalez was put on the roster in 2009.  So I believe next year would potentially be his last option year.  They also, at the time, considered promoting him to the big club at the time.

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091119&content_id=7691216&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor

Now, anyone who's followed Gonzalez's  minor league career knows that last year was a horrible year for him - almost historically horrible.  His combined ERA between AA and AAA was 8.32!!  I have no idea what happened because prior to that his MiLB career numbers were very good.  In fact, throw last year out (and I know you can't really do that) and his minor league career ERA would be 3.13.  To put that into perspective, Kyle Drabek's career ERA is 3.41.  Again, I know ERA is "so 1990's", but it's still an indication that he's been relatively good, aside from last season.  Below are Gonzalez's career numbers.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=460295

As I write this, Gonzalez has just thrown 8.2 scoreless innings with New Hampshire to lower his impressive ERA to 1.38 and this in 32.2 IP.

Just another interesting pitcher to throw into the mix.