Who is Up, Who is Down on the Blue Jays This Week: May 13th to 19th

his is an idea shamelessly stolen from Camden Chat. I'm hoping we'll have it as a feature each Friday, looking back at the previous week, checking in who has been hot and who hasn't. I've been looking for something to go up each Friday, as there rarely is much for news on Fridays.

This is looking back at the 6 games from May 13th to May 19th, we were 5-1 for the week, so there will be a lot of up arrows today.

Rotation

Ricky Romero

Two great starts in a week. Two wins, only 7 hits and 5 walks allowed in 15.2 innings, with 17 strikeouts and just 1 earned. He's gone to using the fastball most of the time, the reasoning that Buck and Pat gave was that he was getting too predictable, going to the change up with 2 strikes. So far it is working. Changing things around, now and then, is a good thing.

Arrow_up_3

Kyle Drabek Had the one start. He went 7 innings, had some trouble in the first but only gave up 1 run after starting the game loading the bases. He gave up 2 walks that innings, then 4 more over the next 6 innings. 2 of those walks were to Miguel Cabrera, I don't mind walking him. He only allowed 3 hits and got the win.

Arrow_down_3

Jesse Litsch

Yeah it was a rough start, errors, hit batters, a wild pitch, home run, triple. It didn't go well and he took the lose. Hoping the next one is better.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Jo-Jo Reyes

10 hits in 5.2 innings, but then he only gave up 3 runs and the Jays came back to win the game after he left.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Brandon Morrow

Battled through 5 innings in his start. 5 hits and 2 walks, but struck out 8. Less pitches would be a good thing, but all-in-all it wasn't a bad start and he got the win

We'll do the rest of the team after the jump

Bullpen

Arrow_up_3

Shawn Camp

Camp got into two games, faced 9 batters and got 8 of them out, giving up just the one singles, after a couple of bad outings last week, this was nice to see.

Arrow_around_3_medium

Octavio Dotel

On the good side, no earned runs. On the bad side, he faced 10 batters and gave up 3 hits and 2 walks. A .500 OBP isn't good.

Arrow_up_3

Jason Frasor

Got into 2 games and pitched just 1.1 innings but gave up just 1 hit and 2 walks to the 7 batters he faced. He has been terrific all season

Arrow_up_3

Casey Janssen

In 2 appearances he faced 7 batters and got them all out. Can't improve on that. Please Alex don't send him down.

Arrow_up_3

Jon Rauch

Pitched two innings in the one game he was in and gave up just the one hit. I'm hoping Farrell doesn't forget he is out there in the pen.

Arrow_up_3

Marc Rzepczynski

Gave up one of the two runs scored against the pen this week on that home run last night. I didn't think it had a chance to make it out. He faced 9 batters and gave up 2 hits and no walks in his 2.1 innings. I liked him as a starter but I can't complain

 Arrow_up_3

Carlos Villanueva

2 games, 10 batters faced, 1 hit, 1 walk and 6 strikeouts. Pretty good for a guy picked up for a few dollars.

Arrow_up_3

Frank Francisco

3 game, 3 saves. He did give up a home run in that game Monday when we were up by 3. It was just so we'd watch until the end.
Lineup

Arrow_up_3

J.P. Arencibia

Played in 5 of 6 games this week and hit 2 home runs, driving in 6. .263/.333/.632 is a pretty good line and he looks good behind the plate to me. Since Farrell has him catching 4 of 5 starters now, it appears he agrees.

Red-cross-icon-1_medium

Adam Lind

On the DL now, likely be 10 days until we see him again.

Arrow_up_3

Aaron Hill

He has looked better at the plate the last few games, and it is starting to show in his numbers, slowly. .250/.333/.417, not great but better than he had been doing, I hope it continues. A marginal up arrow,

Arrow_up_3

Yunel Escobar

.333/.414/.375 is a pretty good line for a leadoff hitter. He had only 1 extra base hit but he is getting on in front of Bautista. He was caught stealing once.

Arrow_down_3

Edwin Encarnacion

Played in 5 of the 6 games this week, batting line of .250/.250/.250 He needs some extra base hits. Course the Errors keep coming.

Arrow_up_3

Corey Patterson

.296/.300.481 for the week. He started all 6 games. I'm like him to walk some, but he is getting on some. I like him better in LF than CF but then I like him more as a 4th outfield than either. He stole a base, scored 6 and drove in 3. A pretty good week.

Arrow_up_3

Rajai Davis

Back from missing a few games. I like watching him in CF. He stole only 1 base and was caught once. .285/.375/.380 batting line. I do like him at the back of the lineup.

Arrow_up_3

Jose Bautista

Every week is a good week for Jose and those of us watching him. This one? 5 homers, 7 RBI, 6 runs, just 4 walks which surprises me.Hasn't hit a homer in 3 games.

Arrow_down_3

Juan Rivera

Played in 5 of 6 games. .200/.261/.400. He had a homer, stole a base, played first and I'd still rather do without him

Arrow_around_3_medium

John McDonald

Played in 5 of 6 games, had 3 hits, 2 of them in last Friday's game. .214/.250/.214. His defense looked great at third.

Arrow_down_3

Jayson Nix

Back from the DL and was 0 for 7 in his 2 games, not really fair to judge him on that. His defense looked good, except for the ball that fell between him and JP.

Arrow_up_3

Jose Molina

Only got into one game, but was 3 for 4 with a double, scored from first on a double, tagged up from 2nd to 3rd on a fly ball. He ran more in one game that he would normally run in a month.

Arrow_up_3

Eric Thames

Up from Vegas, played in 2 games going 2 for 5, both singles and 2 walks. I hope they will let him play some outfield but I'm enjoying watching him so far.