Tough One: Astros Beat Jays

Astros 3 Blue Jays 2

That wasn't fun.

Drabek wasn't great. 6 innings, 8 hits, 3 walks. But really there wasn't much hit hard against him. There was the home run but other than that it was mostly stuff that fell in front of outfielders.

The bullpen, again was great. Shawn Camp, Marc Rzepczynski and Casey Janssen each pitched a scoreless inning.

We just didn't get the hit with runners on. We had enough base runners, 8 hits 6 walks, but we only scored on solo homers by J.P. Arencibia and Juan Rivera. We did have hard hit balls with runners on base, they just found gloves. If one of those had missed a glove we'd be happy.

Yunel Escobar looks great at the plate, he was 2 for 3 with 2 walks. Rivera and JP also looked good. Edwin Encaracion had a single that he went to second on the throw home. Davis was on second and misread the hit or he'd have made it home easy. Edwin also had a line drive that third baseman Chris Johnson made an amazing leaping catch on.

Jays of the Day are Yunel (.180 WPA) and Rivera (.128). Suckage numbers go to Hill (-.373, mostly on the ground out to end the game, had the ground ball missed the infielders he'd be JoD), Bautista (-202, tough day at the plate, did have a hard hit ground out, that would have scored a run, if it wasn't at the 3B), Nix (-.126, still 0 for his return) and EE (-.100, but had Davis scored on his single, like he should have, he would have been a positive).

It is almost worth noting that the strike zone was really wide, at least to the outside of the plate. Incredibly wide at some points.

Nix is bugging me, I know I should give him time after coming off the DL, but he has never been good. And he cost us a run on defense by making a tag at third in the 3rd inning, instead of going for the DP. But then, later in the game, he made a nice tag on force out, Yunel threw to third when Wallace tried to go from 2nd to 3rd on a ground ball.

It wasn't a fun loss but, it was just one, let's not panic just yet.