Four Hits, Including a Homer, for Adam Lind, Jays Beat Rays

Blue Jays 3 Rays 2

That one was interesting: both managers ejected, a call at first base overturned, a great block at the plate by Jose Molina, B.J. Upton ejected for having a better grasp of the strike zone than the umpire and a Kevin Gregg style save (2 walks, 2 strikeouts and a single).

Frank Francisco, getting his first shot at a save in a Blue Jay jersey after Jon Rauch blew a save yesterday, tested everybody's blood pressure by walking two in the 9th to bring the winning run to the plate. Then a Sam Fuld single made it a one run game. I'll admit I thought the single could have been caled error on John McDonald.  It seemed to take a bad hop, I still might have called it an error. But Frank got Ben Zobrist to ground out to finish off the game. Hopefully Francisco's next save will be a nice three up three down inning.

We got another nice start from Brandon Morrow, 6.1 innings, 5 hits, 4 walks and 7 k. That gives him 23 strikeouts in 17.2 innings this year. Really have to like how he is throwing, maybe a few too many walks today, but then you had a strike zone that was all over the place. John Farrell tried to gently point that out to plate umpire, which bought him an early exit. I can't remember a manager get thrown out of a game while speaking so quietly before.

We got good work from relievers Jason Frasor, who got a double play after coming in with 2 on and one out, and Marc Rzepczynski, who struck out the side in his inning.

On Offense, we had 8 hits, half of them by Adam Lind, who had a 2 run homer in the first inning. David Cooper had our other RBI with on a double.

Jays of the Day are Lind (.211 WPA), Frasor (.150), Morrow (.142) and Francisco (.104). No suckage Jays, Corey Patterson had the worst number, -.075, for an 0 for 4.

We were helped out by some nice defense. Jose Molina made a great block of the plate, to tag out Johnny Damon, trying to score from first on a Evan Longoria double. The ball got stuck under the padding in the left field wall. Rivera, rightly was back from the wall, looking to make the play when the ball bounced off the wall. He made a good throw to Escobar and Yunel threw a strike to Molina.

We got a nice double play, if a gift double play, when Encarnacion fielded a ball at third, stepped on the bag for the force, then his throw to first was off line. Adam Lind tried to make a sweep tag. First base umpire Joe West, called the runner, Sam Fuld safe, but then the umpires conferred and overturned the call. Watching it a bunch of times, I think Fuld stepped on first before the tag, but I'll take it. The flip got Joe Maddon thrown out of the game.

Tomorrow we have an afternoon game, a 1:00 Eastern start. Ricky Romero was to start against David Price (3-3, 3.95), but it looks like Romero will be pushed back a couple of days with an 'oblique strain'. He is to start Saturday now. Kyle Drabek (2-1, 4.45) is going to be moved up a day to get the start tomorrow.