Bad Night: Jays Lose to Indians

Kyle looking for his control, he dropped it somewhere around the mound. (Photo by Brad White/Getty Images)

Indians 13 Blue Jays 7

The quick recap: that sucked.

I was going to quit at that, but then the Jays scored 9 to get back into the game. Points of interest:

  • We had back-to-back-to-back triples by Eric Thames, Rajai Davis and Jayson Nix. The last time that was done was May 6, 1981 by the Expos, when Mike Gates, Tim Raines and Tim Wallach did it. The Expos also gave up 13 runs that day to take the loss.
  • Davis also had his first home run of the year and drove in 4 on the day.
  • Thames had 3 hits. Jose Bautista drove in 2 in the 9th. Mike McCoy had a hit and a walk in relief of Yunel Escobar. Edwin Encarnacion  had a hit and 2 walks in relief of Aaron Hill.
  • Kyle Drabek started the game badly. 2 doubles to start the game, a strikeout, 2 walks, another double, ground out and another walk and he was done for the day.
  • You'd think that that terrible first inning would be our worst of the night. Shawn Camp had a nightmare 3rd. 6 hits, including a homer and a double and a walk. Jason Frasor came in and watched Davis and Escobar drop easy fly balls. Well, Yunel dropped his, Rajai totally missed his. Both were easy catches. By the time the dust cleared, the Indians had scored 8 in the inning, to get to a 12-0 lead. The game was pretty much over.
  • No Jays of the Day. Suckage awards go to Drabek (-.320 WPA) and Camp (-.090, but I figure if you give up 7 runs you earn the award).

    The Jays get an off-day to lick their wounds, then off to Baltimore for 3. Unfortunately, with the bruised wrist, it doesn't look like Brett Lawrie will be joining us there. He is 'day to day' in Vegas. Farrell said that they'd have him play a couple of games for Vegas, to make sure all is well, before calling him up. So likely sometime next week.