Great Start For Ricky Romero: Jays Beat Orioles

Head up Ricky, you pitched a great game. (Photo by Abelimages/Getty Images)

Orioles 1 Blue Jays 4

I don't know that I've ever seen Ricky Romero pitch better, that was just a dominate start. He is clearly our ace. 8 innings, 3 hits, 4 walks (2 to start the 9th), 1 earned (after he left in the 9th) and 12 strikeouts. I thought he'd finish the game off but it looked like he was overthrowing in the 9th, he walked 2 on 9 pitches and Farrell took him out. Frank Francisco finished out the game, getting the save. He looked good, throwing strikes, even though he did give up a single to Matt Wieters to cost us the shut out.

On offense, it was the home run show. Yunel Escobar lead off the game, for us, with one. Juan Rivera had a solo homer in the 5th. And Adam Lind followed a Jose Bautista walk with his 13th of the year in the 7th. That was all we needed. That is the type of small ball I like.

We had 11 hits, 3 each for Escobar and Rivera (a triple short of the cycle), 2 for Lind. Everyone else had 1 except Bautista (0 for 3 and a walk), J.P. Arencibia (0 for 4, he hasn't looked good at bat, since hurting his thumb) and Nix (0 for 4, 2 k).

Jays of the Day are Ricky (.418 WPA), Yunel (.140). I'm also giving JoD to Adam (.092, 2 run homer) and Rivera (.086, great day at the plate). No one with suckage numbers, Bautista had the low number at -.087.

Tomorrow we go for the sweep with Zach Stewart making his first start for the Jays. First of many I hope. Jeremy Guthrie (2-8, 3.77) starts for the O's. It is a 12:30 Eastern start. I'm hoping to get to watch at least some of it, I'm very curious to see Stewart throw.

It doesn't look good for the Canucks, I'm going to get this posted and watch the third.