Happy Birthday Jeff Musselman

Former Jay pitcher Jeff Musselman turns 48 today.

Jeff was a 6th round pick from the 1985 draft out of Harvard. I don't think there has been a player out of Harvard that has made the majors since.  A lefty, he got into a couple of games in for the Jays 1986, he made the team out of spring training in 1987. We had a pretty good team that year, finishing 96-66, good for 2nd place. Jeff was 12-5 (the best winning percentage in the AL), with 3 saves and a 4.15 ERA out of our pen.

Surgery for a muscle tear suffered at the end of the 1987 season, kept him out of the lineup until the middle of the 1988 season. The Jays used him as a starter for the rest of that year. In 15 starts, he was 8-5 with a 3.18 ERA.

At the start of the 1989 season Musselman was traded to the Mets for Mookie Wilson. He played with the Mets for a couple of seasons, not all that successfully.

After he was finished as a player, he became a player's agent and he works at Scott Boras agency now.

I remember, when he came up, I really liked him. After the 1988 season, I thought we had a star starter for years to come, but it didn't work out.

Happy Birthday Jeff. Hope it is a good one.