Blue Jay All-Stars Through the Years

With the All-Star game tonight, I thought we'd list our All-Stars by position:

Catchers:

Ernie Whitt (1985)

John Buck (2010)

Catcher hasn't been our best position over the life of the franchise. I think our best years where with Whitt and Martinez platooning, but I think the next few years should be better with all the prospects working their way through our system.

First Basemen:

Carlos Delgado (2000, 2003)

John Olerud (1993)

Ron Fairly (1977)

Fairly was our first All-Star, he split time between 1B, RF and DH that year. He was38 and coming up to the end of a long MLB career. He had also been an All-Star in 1973 as a member of the Expos. He played for 21 seasons. I'm surprise we didn't have other first basemen picked over the years. We had some good ones: John Mayberry, Willie Upshaw, Fred McGriff but then there have been a lot of great first basemen, it is tough to get the all on All-Star rosters.

Second Base:

Damaso Garcia (1985, 1986)

Roberto Alomar (1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995)

Aaron Hill (2009)

Roberto made the team every year he played for the Jays.

Shortstop:

Alfredo Griffin (1984)

Tony Fernandez (1986, 1987,1989, 1999)

in 1999 Fernandez was playing third. Griffin we talked about already.

Third Base:

Roy Howell (1978)

Kelly Gruber (1989, 1990)

Tony Batista (2000)

Troy Glaus (2006)

Outfielders:

Jesse Barfield (1986}

Lloyd Moseby (1986}

George Bell (1987, 1990)

Joe Carter (1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996)

Devon White (1993)

Shawn Green (1999)

Vernon Wells (20003, 2006, 2010)

Alex Rios (2006, 2007)

Jose Bautista (2010, 2011)

Bell, Moseby and Barfield were thought to be the best outfield in baseball, in the time they were together, it surprises me how few times they made the All-Star games.

Starting Pitchers:

Dave Lemanczk (1979)

Dave Stieb (1980, 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985,1988, 1989)

Jim Clancy (1982)

Jimmy Key (1985, 1991)

Juan Guzman (1992)

Pat Hentgen (1993, 1994, 1997)

Roger Clemens (1997, 1998)

David Wells (2000)

Roy Halladay (2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009)

Ted Lilly (2004)

Ricky Romero (2011)

I have zero memory of Dave Lemanczk. Jim Clancy and Dave Stieb battled for the franchise lead in wins for years.

Relief Pitchers:

Tom Henke (1987)

Duane Ward (1993)

Paul Quantrill (2001)

B.J. Ryan (2006)

Paul Quantrill is our 1 Canadian All-Star. I always figured Henke and Ward deserved to be All-Stars more often but they pick more starting pitchers then relievers for the teams.