John McDonald Hits Walk Off Sac Fly: Jays Beat Mariners

Mariners 5 Blue Jays 6 (14 innings)

That was a long one.

Brett Cecil had one awful 2nd inning. I figured he was going to get pulled. He gave up 4 hits and 2 home runs in the inning. In the Jays half of the inning, John Farrell had words with him. Loud words by the looks of things. Whatever he said worked, Brett went 5 more innings allowing just 1 more hit and no runs. In all he went 7 innings, 9 hits, 5 earned, 1 walk and 2 k.

Our bullpen was great, 7 shutout innings. Frasor had to fight through his 1.1 innings, giving up 3 hits and a walk but didn't allow a run. Marc Rzepczynski pitched great for 2.1 innings, giving up just 1 hit, getting 2 strikeouts. He was great. Casey Janssen, his first day back with the team, pitched the 14th and got the win. Camp, Rauch and Dotel also pitched. The only guy not used was Frank Francisco. We better not go into extras tomorrow.

On offense, we got just enough. Adam Lind gave us a lead with a 2 run homer in the bottom of the first. We got 3 runs in the 7th to tie the game at 5. Aaron Hill doubled, Patterson walked, Yunel Escobar doubled, Eric Thames hit a sac fly and Jose Bautista hit a hard single, up the middle, just missing the pitcher.

No one would score again until the bottom of the 14th. Rajai Davis got a 1 out single. He stole second and third and John McDonald plated him with a fly ball to center. Davis is just amazing, the rare time he gets on base.

Jays of the Day are Scrabble (.354 WPA), Yunel (.271), Davis (.251), Rauch (.143), Janssen (.143), Camp (.110), McDonald (.123) and Bautista (.106). Suckage numbers go to Cecil (-.252), JP (-.302, just terrible at the plate but good behind it), Thames (-.254), Snider (-.235) and Patterson (-.114).

Corey was robbed on a stolen base attempt, he tried to steal second and was clearly safe but was called out.

Farrell used his bench. Davis, Patterson and McCoy were used as pinch runners. Davis had 3 steals. McCoy had one. The only batter not used was Jose Molina.

Travis Snider played most of the game in CF and looked like a natural. I know people look at his body type and think he shouldn't play center, but he has good speed and takes good routes to the ball. I like him in center more than Patterson, and I don't mind Patterson there. Travis made a couple of nice catches and made a great throw to second to get an out.

Brandon Morrow (6-4, 4.37) starts tomorrow, hope he gets deep into the game, our bullpen will be tired. Jason Vargas (6-7, 3.68) goes for the Mariners.