FanPost

Note and Questions

In July, the Jays have scored the 2nd most runs in mlb.  Texas is first with 109 followed by the Jays with 108.  The upcoming series with Texas figures to be a high-scoring affair so naturally it will be full of pitching duels.

A couple of questions:

1.  Do you think mlb should have mesh down the foul lines (poll later)?

As I mentioned previously, Korea has mesh down their foul lines.  It has three main advantages; fan safety, preventing fans from running onto the field, and preventing fan interference on balls hit down the line.  The disadvantages are that players wouldn't be able to dive into the stands for foul balls and possibly the fans enjoyment of the game.  I'm not sure how much the ability of players to jump into the stands adds to the game.  The screen in front of home plate doesn't appear to make those seats any less desirable either.

In the NHL when a fan was killed by a puck they almost immediately added mesh above the glass at the ends of the rink.  Should that have to happen before a change is made?  Incidentally, a fan in 1970 was killed by a foul ball, so it isn't like it hasn't happened before.  Foul balls are also probably more dangerous now, given that a lot of fans are distracted by phones and other electronic devices.

2.  The Jays are 8.5 games back of the Yankees in the wild card race.  How many games would they have to gain before you started paying attention?

I'm not saying it is likely, but it would be cool to at least finish within 5 games of the playoffs.  Only the Yankees are preventing us from being in a race now as they are 5.5 games ahead of Tampa Bay.  A key injury or 2 would help.  Start making your voodoo dolls (start with the Sabathia one).

Not baseball related, but if you ever wanted to go somewhere without coins, go to Mongolia.  Apparently there were too many counterfeit coins so they just went to bills.  Bills start at a value of $.01 U.S. and go upward from there through the normal range. It is really difficult to find the right bill, especially since half the numbers are in Cyrillic.