Good Start for Brad Mills, Unfortunately Great Start for Derek Holland: Jays Lose to Rangers

Nice job Brad. They'll score for you next time. (Photo by Abelimages/Getty Images)

Rangers 3 Blue Jays 0

Really nice start for Brad Mills, he went 7, only really made the one mistake to Mitch Moreland, who hit a 2 run homer off him in the 2nd. In all he allowed 6 hits, walked 2 and struck out 5. He looked great, mixing pitches and changing speeds. Unfortunately, our bats didn't do anything.

I'm not sure how much was how good Derek Holland was and how much was how bad our bats were, I'd 60/40 to Holland being good. That was his 4th shut out this year. We only 4 singles off him, 2 for Jose Bautista, one each for John McDonald and J.P. Arencibia

We had our first view of Jesse Litsch out of the pen. He did strikeout the side in his inning but there was a Mike Napoli homer in the middle of that. I didn't think Napoli's hit would come close to going out, but it carried over the center field wall. We also saw Trever Miller for the first time in a Jays uniform since back in 2003. He faced 3 lefties, gave up two soft ground ball singles and got a strikeout. He was helped by a nice throw by JP, catching David Murphy stealing. Shawn Camp came in with 2 outs in the 9th, threw one pitch, and got a fly out.

Jay of the Day? I'm giving it to Mills (.096 WPA). Suckage could go to any of the bats, but Lind (-.093) had the low number.

Yunel Escobar got thrown out of the game as quickly as I've ever seen a player get tossed. He felt he was safe on a ground out, thinking Michael Young, at first, didn't keep his foot on the bag. The replays weren't concussive. Yunel must have said the magic word cause he was gone in 5 seconds.

Colby Rasmus is still looking for his first hit as a Jay, 0 for 14 now. Bautista started his Jay career with a long 0 for as well.

John Farrell said Brad Mills would get at least one more start. No surprise after that start.

Tomorrow is the rubber match of the series. Brandon Morrow (7-5, 4.71) gets the start for the Jays. Quite the difference from the slow tossing lefty Mills. C.J. Wilson (10-4, 3.16) goes for the Rangers. Maybe we could get some hits?