1992: Joe Carter, Juan Guzman, Roberto Alomar: Blue Jay All-Star Moments!

Roberto Alomar in 1992

Continuing down our list of Blue Jay All-Star moments, we get to 1992, which you all know was our first World Series winning season, number 7 oh our list. We had two players voted to the starting lineup, Joe Carter and Roberto Alomar and AL manager Tom Kelly picked Juan Guzman to be part of the pitching staff.

Roberto Alomar: Roberto made the All-Star team in each of his 5 seasons with the Jays and 12 times in his career. Alomar was in his second season with the Jays and he had a great season. At the break he was hitting .323/.412/.460, with 6 homers, 54 runs, 45 RBI and 18 steals. He finished the year .310/.405/..427, 76 RBI, 105 RBI and 49 stolen bases. He finished 6th in MVP voting, won the Gold Glove and the Silver slugger.

Roberto started the game playing 2nd base and was the leadoff hitter. To start the game he ground out against Tom Glavine. The AL batted around in the first inning, so Alomar led off again in the second inning. One out later he stole 2nd base and then stole 3rd base. Joe Carter drove him home to give the AL a 5-0 lead. He led off again in the 4th inning, with David Cone getting him to ground out. In the bottom of the inning he was replaced by Carlos Baerga.

Joe Carter: Joe made the All-Star team 5 times, all as a Jay. Joe, also in his second season with the Jays, was hitting .274/.322/.512 at the break with 19 home runs and 63 RBI. He finished the year at .264/.309/.486 with 110 RBI. He finished 3rd in MVP voting and also won the Silver Slugger award.

Joe started the game in RF and hit clean up. He singled in the first, the third of 7 consecutive singles off Tom Glavine to load the bases and scored on Cal Ripken's single. In the second inning, Joe singled again against Glavine, to drive home Roberto. Then in the 5th Bob Tewksbury got Joe to fly out to CF. In the bottom of the inning he was replaced by Travis Fryman.

Juan Guzman: 1992 was Juan's second season the majors. It was the only year that he was named to the All-Star game.  At the All-Star break Juan was 11-2 with a 2.11 ERA. The second half of the season didn't go as well for Juan, he finished 16-5, with a 2.64 ERA in 28 starts.

Juan came in to pitch the 3rd inning with the AL ahead 6-0. He started the inning striking out Ryne Sandberg then Benito Santiago. Then a single to Larry Walker, a double to Ozzie Smith and a walk to Tony Gwynn loaded the bases for Barry Bonds. But he got Bonds to pop out to third.

So our stars each contributed to the AL's 13-6 win.

Roberto Alomar was 1/3, with a run and 2 stolen bases.

Joe Carter was 2 for 3, with a run and RBI.

Juan Guzman pitched a scoreless inning with 2 strikeouts.