Lind, Rasmus and Encarnacion Homer: Jays Beat Mariners

Casper Wells after a 97 mph fastball almost took off his nose. (Photo by Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images)

Blue Jays 5 Mariners 1

That was a great game.

Nice start from Brandon Morrow, he didn't give up his first hit until the 4th, had a little trouble in the 6th inning. Gave up a one out infield single to Ichiro and a wild pitch (could have been a passed ball) to move him to second then a Franklin Gutierrez double to the center field to score Suzuki. A walk, a strikeout and a hit batter loaded the bases, but Brandon got Trayvon Robinson to strikeout to end the inning. That pitch that hit Casper Wells might have been as scary a moment as I've seen in a baseball game.  A 97 mph fastball glancing off a nose? He's lucky, it could have been very serious.

Morrow finished 6 innings with 3 hits, 2 walks, 12 strikeouts with 1 earned. Jesse Litsch, Casey Janssen and Frank Francisco each pitched a scoreless inning each.

On offense, we got 5 runs off Mariner starter Blake Beaven (did Stan Lee name this guy?). Adam Lind had a 3 run homer. Edwin Encarnacion and Colby Rasmus each had solo shots. We only had 6 hits but with 3 of them homers, that was all we needed.

Jays of the Day are Lind (.219 WPA), Morrow (.149) and EE (.122). Eric Thames had the Suckage number (-.103) but with the great catch he made while falling into the stands, I can't give him the award.

Aaron Hill also made a great catch, running back hard on a ball to shallow right. Yunel Escobar made a nice double play in the 7th with two on base and one out. That made up for a strange error he made earlier in the inning. Eric Thames caught a fly to left, threw it into Yunel who sort of tossed it away. I guess he threw towards Brett Lawrie but Brett wasn't expecting the throw and Kyle Seager moved up from first to second on the play. The next batter hit a ground ball to Lawrie and Brett's throw to first was too high for Lind to keep a foot on the bag.

Tomorrow we start a 4 game set in Oakland. Ricky Romero (11-9, 2.87) starts. Trevor Cahill (9-11, 3.92) goes for the A's.

Very pleasant game thread tonight. A nice end to a series that we could have swept, with out a bullpen meltdown in the first game.