We can't hit Rich Harden: Blue Jays lose to A's

OAKLAND, CA - AUGUST 19: Colby Rasmus #28 of the Toronto Blue Jays walks back to the dugout after striking out with the bases loaded to end the first inning of their game against the Oakland Athletics at O.co Coliseum on August 19, 2011 in Oakland, California. (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

Blue Jays 0 A's 2

The game basically turned on two moments. We loaded the bases in the 1st, with no outs, on a Rich Harden error and two walk. Then Harden struck out Adam Lind, Edwin Encarnacion and Colby Rasmus. That was about our only chance to score all night.

Then in the bottom of the first, Bret Cecil gave off a lead off walk. After a line out, Hideki Matsui hit a ground ball to Lind, who touched first then threw to get the runner going to second. Unfortunately, his throw glanced off the runners arm and went past Yunel Escobar. I do hate the 'you can't assume a DP' scorers rule. That normally would have been an error but isn't because Lind stepped on first.  So instead of being an inning ending double play, we had a runner on second. Josh Willingham followed with a home run and that was all the runs scored tonight.

Brett pitched well, other than the homer. Too many walks (5), but only 4 hits with 4 strikeouts and the 2 earned runs in 7 innings. I do admire a pitcher that battles when he doesn't have his best stuff.

Harden was a bit better in his 7 innings, he gave up 2 hits, 4 walks and struck out 11. We didn't get a hit until the 5th inning. Our batters had real trouble with his changeup.

Jose Bautista gets the Jay of the Day with a .189 WPA off 3 walks and a single. He also stole third with 2 out in the 8th, one of those stupid moves but he was safe so it's a little better than the times Patterson tried it for us. Suckage numbers go to EE (-.185), Colby (-.166), Lind (-.156) and Hill (-.139).

Tomorrow Henderson Alvarez (0-0, 5.91) gets his 3rd start of the year. Gio Gonzalez (9-11, 3.36) starts for the A's. The game is an hour earlier than the normal west coast games. It will be a 9:00 Eastern start.

I have a week of holidays starting tomorrow, going to the beautiful town of Fernie, BC. I'll likely check in some but won't be around as much, so be gentle on Johnny and all. If you have a fanpost you are just itching to write, this would be a good week for it. I do have the interview with Marty Brown that will be going up Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday next week, and Johnny and the Johnettes (sorry guys) will be around for your dining and dancing pleasure.