Lousy Night for Carlos Villanueva: Jays lose to Rays

Blue Jays 1 Rays 9

That was awful in a lot of ways. Everything Carlos Villanueva threw was hit hard, or bunted. The Rays bunted 3 straight times, in the second inning, two squeeze bunts and a bunt single. We didn't get an out on any of them. I didn't understand why they would want to bunt because, when they swung the bat, the ball was going a long way. Carlos gave up 3 home runs, 9 hits and 8 earned in 2.2 innings. He was awful. In his last 4 starts he has an ERA of 9.31. I really hope that was his last start.

Jesse Litsch gave up 3.1 scoreless innings of relief. Wil Ledezma gave up 3 hits and a walk but only 1 run in his inning. He did strikeout 3. Shawn Camp pitched a scoreless 9th.

On offense we did little. J.P. Arencibia lead off the 3rd with a home run, that was his 18th of the season. Our next hit was a 2 out single by Aaron Hill in the 7th. We had 5 hits in total. Colby Rasmus had his 3rd hit as a Jay.

No JoD. JP came closest at .061 WPA. Carlos gets the Towers award for a -.408 WPA.

Tomorrow we have a noon Eastern start. Brett Cecil (4-4, 4.34) goes against Wade Davis (8-7, 4.62) in the rubber match.

John, no matter what Craig might think, I know you value my opinion above all others, it's time to stick a fork in Villanueva's time as a starter. He was ok for a bit, but he hasn't seen the 7th inning in a month and he really isn't fooling anyone. He has given up 44 its in his last 31.1 innings and has 3 strikeouts in his last 3 starts. It was fun while it lasted, but it is time to look at someone else. Or perhaps forfeit when his turn comes around.