Brett Lawrie and Kelly Johnson Homer: Jays Beat Orioles

BALTIMORE, MD - SEPTEMBER 01: Brett Lawrie #13 of the Toronto Blue Jays hits a single in the second inning against the Baltimore Orioles at Oriole Park at Camden Yards on September 1, 2011 in Baltimore, Maryland. (Photo by Greg Fiume/Getty Images)

Blue Jays 8 Orioles 6

Nice win.

Luiz Perez seemed to be getting pretty lucky, early in the game, he was giving up a lot of fly balls but they were finding gloves. Then in the 4th the luck ran out, two of the fly balls became homers. He had a quick 5th, then in the 6th he gave up 3 walks and a double before being pulled. He finished with 5.0 innings, 6 hits, 3 walks, 6 strikeouts, 5 earned and the 2 home runs. Too many fly balls. His first 3 starts went surprisingly well but I don't see him being a starter, for us, in the future.

Jesse Litsch took over for Perez with 2 on and no outs and threw a pickoff attempt into center field to move the runners to 2nd and 3rd, just to increase the degree of difficulty. The judges like that. Then he got out of the inning, with the help of a nice play by Brett Lawrie, throwing home to get Vlady running (? is that the correct term for what Guerrerro does) home.

In the 7th Jesse gave up a lead off double and a walk before Wauk brought in Shawn Camp. Camp hit the first batter to load the bases, again just having 2 on isn't not enough of a challenge, he needed the bases loaded. And he got out of it.

Jon Rauch, just activated from the DL pitched a perfect 8th and Franky did the same in the 9th, after going 3-0 on the first batter. Who'd have thought we'd be looking to Rauch and Francisco for competent late inning relief.

On offense, we had 13 hits. 4 for Yunel Escobar, 2 doubles, 1 singles and 3 each for Brett Lawrie and Kelly Johnson, both with a homer. Eric Thames, Adam Lind and Edwin Encarnacion went hitless, Lind did take a walk (!) and hit a couple of balls hard.

Jays of the Day are Lawrie (.347), Yunel (.303), Johnson (.187) and Litsch (.166). I'm going to give one to Frank (.092) and Rauch (.089) too, mostly because, after Tallet's effort, I'm thrilled to see us hold a late lead. Suckage number went to Perez (-.420).

Brett Lawrie is looking better and better at third base. As well as making the out at home, he grabbed a ball, going down the 3rd base line, behind the bag and made a perfect throw to first to get the batter. Just a terrific play.

Tomorrow we start a 3 game series in New York against the Yankees, Ricky Romero (12-9, 2.84) goes against Bartolo Colon (8-9, 3.63).

Great game and a fun game thread. Join us in tomorrow's if you can.

Oh, and Joe West....he has got to be the worst umpire in the majors. Perez threw a pitch, Robert Andino flied out but West decided, for some unknown reason that it wasn't a legal pitch and called for a do over. Andino singled in his second chance. Perez got out of the inning but still, get it right Joe.