The Windows Of Your House Reflect Back On Yourself: Jays 5, Orioles 4

Behind strong pitching by Henderson Alvarez and a 9th inning rally (assisted by an old friend), the Jays beat Baltimore today. (Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)

Wooo!  the Jays pulled out a 9th inning comeback today to edge Baltimore, 5-4.

On the Mound:

Henderson Alvarez was quite good through seven innings, giving up 9 hits (8 singles) and one walk while striking out 4.  Alvarez was leaving the ball up early but soon settled in, and 12 of 15 batted balls were on the ground in a very impressive display.

At the Plate:

Jose Bautista's 41st home run of the season, and Brett Lawrie's 9th were most of the offense through the first 8.  Then, in the ninth, David Cooper struck out to start the inning.  Old friend Kevin Gregg game in to try to close things out and struck out Brett Lawrie to put Baltimore just one out away.  Kelly Johnson worked a walk and Jose Molina singled him to second.  Adam Loewen came in to hit for DeWayne Wise and was hit by a pitch to load them up for pinch-hitter J.P. Arencibia.  Gregg then threw one away to let the tying run score.  Arencibia then came through with a single through the left side, and that was the game!

From the Pen:

Jesse Litsch gave up the go-ahead run in the 8th on a pair of doubles, but struck out the next two batters to end the inning.  Litsch then worked a scoreless 9th around a single with another strikeout and a couple of groundouts, and was rewarded for his efforts (which included getting the final out with a runner on third) with the win when the Jays came through in the 9th.

In the Field:

Dewayne Wise had several nice plays in center but also made a costly error that almost gave Baltimore an extra insurance run in the 9th inning.  Henderson Alvarez threw one away early on a perfect bunt where he should've just held onto the ball.  Rookie mistake, right?

Jays of the Day:  Alvarez, Johnson, Loewen, Bautista, and honourable mention to Lawrie for the home run.

Today's title from the song "Easy Hearts" by Whiskeytown