What do you think about Eric Thames?

Thought I'd ask a quick question, what do you think of Eric Thames? Do you think he is the left fielder of the future? A possible DH? Fourth outfielder? Or not quite a major leaguer?

So far this year, Eric is hitting:

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG
2011 - Eric Thames 82 313 52 83 22 4 10 32 18 74 2 0 .265 .314 .457

OPS+ of 106, not bad for a rookie.

He has been in a bit of a slump for the last 2 or 3 weeks. Strikes out a bit more than you would like, doesn't walk as much as you'd like.

I'm really not a fan of him hitting in the 2 spot. I'm not a big believer in the idea that guys hit better because of who hits behind them and even if I did believe it, I'd rather have someone that gets on base a little more often hitting in front of Baustista.

His defense isn't great but then I think he has all the right tools for it to become at least average. He has ok speed, he has a decent arm, he seems bright enough and he does try out there. He isn't Corey Patterson, giving up on balls if they are too close to the walls.

If you imagine a little growth in his numbers, he could become a pretty good outfielder. on the other hand, he has a battle coming in spring training to keep his job. Travis Snider, Adam Loewen and, perhaps, Moises Sierra will be in the mix for the LF job. Plus who ever Alex adds to the team this off-season.