Sunday Bantering

There is a nice piece up at the Boston Herald web site (h/t MLB Trade Rumors) about the Jays and Alex Anthopoulos. The money line is Alex saying:

Free agency is the last route we want to go. At some point we'll have to start delving into it a little more, but I still want to try to avoid it at all costs.

So I guess we can give up on the little fantasy of signing Albert Pujols or Prince Fielder. I figured Pujols was a long shot, partly because of questions about his age. He is listed as 31 but many think he is older than that. I can't see Alex spending the kind of money Pujols would want if there was any question about his age.

I think that saying you won't use free agency is kind of silly, you should be willing to use any strategy available to you, but I do get the point, signing players, that are past their best before date, to large contracts, isn't the best idea for a team building for the future, but I think saying you aren't going to use a strategy allowed you is like a manager saying he isn't going to pinch hit.

Alex also says that the problem with being in the AL East isn't the money the Yankees and Red Sox can spend, it is that the other GM's are smart. He'd much prefer to be in one of the other divisions where the guys running the teams are stupid. No he didn't say that last part, just implied.

John Farrell has told reporters that it is unlikely the Jays will be calling up Adeiny Hechavarria, as he hasn't played for a couple of weeks. It is more likely they would call up Jonathan Diaz, whose team just finished playing. Diaz would have to be added to the 40-man roster, while Adeiny is already on it. With a guy as young as Hechavarria, does 2 weeks away from ball really make all that much difference?

They are talking about this because the swelling in Yunel's elbow is getting worse instead of better. X-rays still show no damage but I'm guessing it will be a week before he plays again. By then we will be close to being out of games left to play. McCoy hasn't been terrible at short and Chris Woodward could play if needed. But I'd be all for getting Hechavarria on the roster, since the team is on the road, after Thursday. That would only leave 6 games but at least he would get a taste of what the big leagues are like.

None of our call ups are in the lineup today. I'd like Farrell to move Thames out of the 2 spot. He's in a bit of a slump, batting .157/.232/.255 with just 3 extra base hits in September. His OPS+ has dropped to 102. It seems like he's had a few little nagging injuries of late. He has played a fair bit of ball this year. At least one position will be interesting to watch next spring training.

SB Nation Featured Video