FanPost

Jose Bautista 2011 MVP?

I was reading an article on mlb.com about who is the most likely candidate to win the MVP award. As much as I tried to restrain myself from taking a peek at the comments section, I couldn't resist, and what I saw hardly surprised me. Granderson, Granderson, Granderson, Verlander, Granderson, Granderson, Jeter, Cano, Granderson, Granderson. I didn't have particularly high hopes, but I didn't know it would be that bad. Ok fine, I did, but still...

I don't understand why it isn't obvious that Jose Bautista should win the AL MVP. He is the leader in home runs, on-base percentage, OPS, OPS+, WAR, slugging, walks (by a huge margin,) has an average over .300, has 100 RBIs, enough runs scored, he has a hose in right field, played third base when the team needed him there and he has no protection in the lineup. It seems totally obvious to me.

Every other candidate seems to have something going against them. Granderson has a pathetic average. Verlander is a pitcher. Adrian doesn't have power numbers. Ellsbury just isn't good enough. Who else is there?

OK, so he isn't on a winning team. But he isn't on a losing team either. And could the Blue Jays be above .500 without him? Do I even need to answer that question?

So what do you guys think? I'm on Bluebird Banter so clearly there will be bias, but I really don't think that it should be much of a competition. Anyways, let's get a good discussion going. Oh right, and a poll.... Nearly forgot.