FanPost

80 wins not 82 wins please (+poll)

It seems as though our destiny is to finish around 0.500 .  Have you ever seen a team that stayed so close to 0.500 all season long?

Providing that we are going to win half of our games we might as well get a protected pick out of the deal.  The teams that finish in the bottom 15 positions in the standings have their first round pick protected.  For the Jays this means that if they sign Prince Fielder, Heath Bell, etc the first pick they would give up would be in the 70's instead of in the 16-20 range.  It also makes it more likely that we would sign a Type A free agent.

Another benefit is that it makes fringe Type A free agents more appealing.  The Jays could sign a Type A reliever similar to Jason Frasor was last year for example.  There is less competition for those free agents and you can still project getting a compensation round pick from them later on (and maybe another pick too if they remain Type A at the end of the contract).  The fringe Type A's should also be better players than the Type B's we've been signing in recent years.

Not that I am cheering against the Jays mind you, but every loss does have a silver lining.  I hope we win the rest of our games but still finish below 0.500--although that might be mathematically difficult.