Were We Wild and Young? - Angels 10, Jays 6

Not much has gone right for Vernon Wells' first season away from Toronto, but he has enjoyed playing against his old team. (Photo by Claus Andersen/Getty Images)

Tough loss today against the Angels of Anaheim.

On the Mound:

Brett Cecil started great, striking out the side in the first.  However, old friend Vernon Wells took him yard in the 2nd.  Cecil started the third well with two quick outs, but then was totally unable to get the third.  The Angels strung a number of well-hit balls together in the 2nd and took advantage of a walk to drop three more runs on him, capped off by a Vernon Wells ground-rule double.  Cecil did finally manage to get the last out in the 3rd, but that was it for him.  A poor start for Cecil, he was throwing strikes but doesn't appear to have been locating them well at all, and leaving too many balls up hurt him.

At the Plate:

The Jays were in a hole early and while they were able to muster some offense later in the game, it wasn't enough to get them back into it.  Colby Rasmus and Mike McCoy had the only extra base hits, both doubles, but Rasmus also struck out twice.  Kelly Johnson reached three times (actually four if you count him reaching on an error once), as did Eric Thames.  Edwin Encarnacion got the Jays off to a good start with an RBI single in the first, and added a sac fly later.

From the Pen:

Kyle Drabek was even worse than Cecil, giving up 6 runs in just two innings, on 7 hits and a walk, including a steal of home by Erick Aybar (which I missed - was it cool?).  He didn't strike anybody out, and wasn't getting the ball down, either.  He was hurt by a costly error, but didn't help himself either.

After Drabek things got better.  Joel Carreno, Shawn Camp, and Danny Farquhar combined to blank the Angels for the second half of the game.  Too bad they were in such a drastic hole.  Carreno was particularly good in his two scoreless innings, striking out 3 and walking none, and giving up just one single.

In the Field:

Mike McCoy, who got the start at shortstop and did quite well at the plate, made a costly error.  I'll chalk it up to Peter Bourjos' insane speed, but I think McCoy is stretched at short in the majors.

No Jays of the Day.  Cecil takes the Towers and Drabek gets whatever we call the reliever one.

Title from the new Ryan Adams song "Lucky Now" which I am a bit surprised to find myself enjoying.  No, Tom, not Bryan Adams.  I know you are old and all those letters look the same, but they are different guys.

Latest News

In This Article

Teams
Players