Good Start for Dustin McGowan: Jays Still Lose to Angels

Angels 7 Blue Jays 2

That was the second terrible game in a row. After Dustin left I lost interest. Good thing the game thread was fun.

The only thing good about this game was watching Dustin McGowan. Dustin went 5 innings giving up no walks and getting 8 strikeouts. Peter Bourjos was the only one that was able to hit him hard. He led off the 3rd with a triple and scored on a Maicer Izturis single and had a solo homer in the 5th. Other than that, Dustin was great. He makes me think that next year will be a lot of fun.

Other than that, there wasn't much to cheer about. Chad Beck looked good in the 9th, getting 2 strikeouts.

On the bad side, Casey Janssen gave up 3 runs while getting 2 outs,  2 off a run home run to Vernon Wells. It was the first time he gave up more than a run in an outing since June 11th. I guess he is allowed a bad appearance every 4 months or so. Jesse Litsch gave up 2 runs in his inning.

On offense there wasn't much to cheer about either. We only had 6 hits on the day. Eric Thames had a solo home run in the 6th. Kelly Johnson went 2 for 3, with a walk and drove in our other run. Jose Bautista singled in his last at bat of the day, to bring his average back up over .300.

No Jays of the Day. Johnson had the top number at .030 WPA. I'm tempted to give McGowan one, because he did have his best start since coming back. Suckage numbers go to JP Arencibia (-153, for an 0 for 4) and Litsch (-.123). Casey avoids the suckage number only because the Angels had the game in hand when he came into the game.

JP took a bounced pitch off his throwing wrist, early in the game,  but stayed in. I think they really should have taken him out, he didn't look good at the plate and he threw the ball away trying to pick a runner off first. Maybe the arm was bothering him. It would have been a good chance to see Brian Jeroloman (this is now an auto comment that will appear in all game recaps until the season ends).

Dan Haren pitched a great game. It didn't end well for him, with 2 out in the 8th, Eric Thames hit a hard line drive at him. He tried to catch it, but it hit his wrist, then bounced to the second baseman, who threw Thames out to end the inning. Haren looked like he was in a lot of pain. No word on the injury, I hope nothing is broken.

Vernon Wells now has 3 home runs and 8 RBI against his old team this year. He was 2 for 5 tonight with 3 strikeouts. His slash line, in 9 games against the Jays, is .211/.231/.500.

Tomorrow the Jays have their last home game of the season and try to split the series. Henderson Alvarez (1-2, 3.62) gets the start for us. Ervin Santana (11-12, 3.40) goes for the Angels.

Good news? The Orioles beat the Red Sox tonight. At the moment, the Rays and Yankees are tied at 2 in the 8th.