FanPost

Why Jose Bautista should be the MVP

Lately there's been a lot of talk in the baseball world about how Jose Bautista deserves the American League MVP award, but that he probably won't win, just because he's not on a playoff bound team. What bugs me the most about this, is that so many people are quick to point out that Matt Kemp is the front runner for the National League MVP. In case you didn't know, Kemp plays for the Dodgers, a team that is not even close to the playoffs. Heck, I the Blue Jays would be ahead of them in the playoff race if they were in the National League. Now, let me get back on track. This post is why I think he deserves the award more than anybody, and why if it goes to Curtis Granderson or Jacoby Ellsbury, it is a complete Yankees/Red Sox bias.

Let me start off by showing some stats that Jose Bautista leads the entire MLB (not just the AL) in: HR (43); BB (128); OBP (.448); SLG (.618), and OPS (1.066). He also leads the majors in more saber-heavy stats, like: ISO (.313); wRC (136.8); wOBA (.444), and WAR (8.6 [this is the Baseball-Reference version. He is second place behind Ellsbury in the Fangraphs version]). Now, to tell me that Ellsbury or Granderson deserves the award more just because they are on playoff teams? That's absurd. Heck, Jacoby might not even be on a playoff team if the Red Sox keep playing the way they are. And don't even get me started on Justin Verlander being MVP. A player who only plays once every five games should no way be qualified for the MVP award. If Justin Verlanded wins the MVP award, I think Mike McCoy should win the Cy Young, because he finished this year with a WHIP and ERA of 0.00. The Cy Young is for the most valuable pitcher. The MVP is for the most valuable position player. Simple as that.

I_medium

via a.espncdn.com

When it's all said and done though, Joey Bats will probably not win the award. It's unfortunate, because he clearly deserves it more than anyone in baseball. But he plays on a "small market" team that won't make the playoffs, and voters tend to prefer voting for players on a big market team that makes it to the postseason. Tell me what you think. Does Jose derserve to be crowned MVP? Do you think pitchers should be considered for the award? Let me know by leaving a comment or messaging me on Twitter, @mitchell_jj.