FanPost

Should the Jays Target Joey Votto?

Everyone who wants Toronto to bolster its lineup is saying sign either Pujols or Fielder to astronomical deals. Despite the fact that we would need to move some of our top prospects, one move I like is to attempt to trade for Joey Votto and here's why.

  1. AA has always said that he prefers acquiring talent through trades. Given the surplus of MLB ready talent we have, we could easily trade for Votto without destroying our farm system. We have many young pitchers and more outfielders than we can fit on our roster, with more on the way. If anyone could get Votto for a deal, it would be AA.
  2. He's young- He only just turned 28 so given we are able to work out an extension after signing him, he'll be contributing for years to come.
  3. He'll be a good lefty to give Bautista some protection
  4. Good defensively
  5. Canadian- This could help bring in new fans to Blue Jays games. Also, Toronto was his favorite team growing up, not a huge factor, but worth mentioning, especially if it came to extensions.
  6. Consistent
  7. He is signed to a reasonable deal until 2014. If we were to sign a starter like Darvish or Oswalt as well, we'd be able to contend next year given the extra wild card is added which is a very real possibility.
Do you like this idea? If so put together some trade ideas so I can see what the consensus is for who we would need to give up.