Good Start for Henderson Alvarez: Jays Still Lose to White Sox

CHICAGO, IL - SEPTEMBER 27: Alejandro De Aza #30 of the Chicago White Sox slides safely into home plate to score a run ahead of the tag by Jose Molina #8 of the Toronto Blue Jays at U.S. Cellular Field on September 27, 2011 in Chicago, Illinois. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

Blue Jays 1 White Sox 2

Our offense is really is really limping to the finish line. It doesn't help that we have Yunel and Edwin hurt, but we just aren't scoring runs.

We did get 8 hits today and Mike McCoy hit a home run. Really, if McCoy hits a home run you really ought to win the game. The two Joses had two hits each. 0 fors tonight go to Colby Rasmus and Eric Thames. To give an idea to how poor Colby has been hitting, Farrell had Chris Woodward pinch hit for Rasmus in the top of the 9th.

Henderson Alvarez had another good start. 7 innings, 7 hits, 2 earned, no walks and 6 strikeouts. But he gave up a  home run to Tyler Flowers and an RBI single to A.J. Pierzynski. Since we've been offensively challenged the past couple of week, that was enough for the loss.

I'm going to give a JoD to McCoy for the homer and Alvarez for the 7 innings of good work.

Tomorrow the season comes to a finish with Brandon Morrow (11-11, 4.78) getting the start. Brandon has had 2 excellent starts in a row, so I'm hoping he can have one more to go into the off-season with good feelings. Philip Humber (9-9, 3.86) starts for the White Sox. It is a 2:00 Eastern start.

Both the Rays and the Red Sox won today, so they go into the last day of the season tied for the Wild Card. The Rays, amazingly, got a triple play in the 6th inning. A huge moment in the game. the Yankees were already up 3-2 and had a good chance to blow the game wide open but Russell Martin hit a triple play with the base loaded. He might have been safe if he didn't dive for the bag at first base. The play was costly because the Rays got a 3 run homer from Matt Joyce in the bottom of the inning. It makes for an exciting last day of the season and leaves the strong possibility of a 1 game playoff between the Rays and Sox.