Dustin McGowan Pitches for the First Time Since July 8, 2008.

Red Sox 14 Blue Jays 0

All that really matters is that Dustin McGowan pitched in the Major Leagues for the first time since 2008. I really never thought we'd see him again. And he was very good. He pitched 4.0, allowing 5 hits, 3 walks, 3 earned while getting 5 strikeouts. I know the line doesn't sound that great but I'm just happy he pitched and he looked better than his line sounds.

Dustin came into the game in the 5th inning and it took a few batters for him to settle in. He gave up a single, flyout then back to back doubles to David Ortiz and Marco Scutaro, before getting a strikeout and a ground out to end the inning. Then a quick 6th inning, with 2 strikeouts. He gave up a single and a walk in the 8th but got out of it without a run scoring. In the 8th he struck out 2 but gave up a home run to Josh Reddick. It was as cheap a home run as you can get at Rogers Centre, pulled to right, it bounced off the top of the wall and over. He ran out of gas in the 9th, giving up 2 walks to start the inning then was pulled and came out of the game to a standing ovation.

When was the last time you saw a Jay reliever get a standing ovation both coming into and leaving a game. By the home crowd that is.  It was great to see. He threw 74 pitches, 44 for strikes. His first pitch was a 94 mph fastball and I saw pitches up to 96 on the radar gun. He also had a very nice slider, the occasional curve and change.Joel Carreno did a nice job, coming in in the 9th and stranding McGowan's 2 walks.

The less said about the rest of the game the better. I guess I do want to make the point that Luis Perez shouldn't be in the rotation any longer. Perez pitched 2.2, allowing 10 hits(!!!), 8 earned, 2 walks with 1 k. To be fair, in the first inning not much was hit hard against him, the hardest hit was a grounder, right at him, that he was lucky to glove. Mr. Farrell, please remove him from the rotation. Now I don't want to have to go out and get you fired, but I will if I have too. Don't think I can? 3 years later, I'm still here. Look around, do you see John Gibbons or Cito Gaston hanging around the dugout. I outlasted them, I can do it to you too.

Rommie Lewis was no better than Perez was. 1.1, 5 hits, 3 earned with 3 strikeouts. He now has an ERA of 9.00.

On offense, we did nothing. 4 hits on the day, 2 for Yunel Escobar, making his first start after missing a few days after jamming his wrist.

No Jays of the Day by the numbers today, but I'm giving up to Dustin for reminding my why I watch baseball. Suckage Jay is Perez (- .410 WPA).

Tomorrow Brandon Morrow (9-10, 4.78) tries to right things for the Jays. Tim Wakefield (6-6, 4.95) goes for the Sox. Has there ever been such opposite types of pitchers face each. Wakefield is 6-5 with a 4.55 ERA at Rogers Centre in his career. Hope tomorrow is one of the bad starts.