Edwin Encarnacion Hits a 3 Run Double: Jays Beat Red Sox

I love this picture.(Photo by Abelimages/Getty Images)

Red Sox 10 Blue Jays 11

After that awful series with the Yankees, I'm really enjoying this series. The Lawrie walk off in the first game. Getting to see Dustin McGowan last night. And this terrific come back win tonight. I'm loving baseball again.

Was that Edwin Encarnacion double the best at bat for the Jays of the season? He worked to a full count and then made great contact with a fastball on the outside half of the strike zone. When Edwin is on, he's as good a batter as we have.

Of course there were a lot of good at bats in our half of the 8th. Brett Lawrie started things off by being hit by pitch (or almost hit by pitch, I don't think I've ever seen as many phantom hit bats as I have this year). Adam Loewen followed with his first MLB hit. J.P. Arencibia worked a walk, after starting out 0-2. Dewayne Wise struck out on 3 pitches (why he wasn't pinch hit for I'll never know). Yunel Escobar also struck out after getting to a full count. Then, Eric Thames, in another terrific at bat, worked a walk, bringing in a run. He started out 0-2 as well, and fouled off 2 pitches, before getting to ball four. Jose Bautista walked to bring in the tying run, setting up Edwin's big double.

The game didn't start well. Brandon Morrow had a terrible night, 8 hits, 8 earned, 1 walk and 5 k. I'm really thinking that he has hit the wall. It was about this point last year that the Jays shut him down. I'm thinking his arm must be going through a dead period. But if he pushes through it, things should be better next year. I'm hoping.

Our bullpen did a good job. Carlos Villanueva, Jesse Litsch and Shauw Camp gave us 3.2 scoreless innings to give us the chance to come back. FrankMcFrankFrank, on the other hand, gave us a scare, giving up runs for the first time since July 20. Since he had a 3 run lead and only gave up 2, I'll forgive him. But I'm very happy that the Red Sox tried to steal second with 2 outs, and I'm happy Jose Molina has a great arm.

Jays of the Day are Bautista (.431 WPA), EE (.319), JP (.196), Thames (.160), Lawrie (.159) and Loewen (.152). Suckage Awards go to Morrow (-.627), Wise (-.195) and Johnson (-.138).

J.P. Arencibia hit his 21st home run setting a new high for Blue Jay catchers. Bautista went 1 (double) for 2 with 2 walks. Edwin 2 for 4 with 5 RBI. Lawrie was 2 for 2 with a walk and the hit batter. And Adam Loewen playing in his first game since July 6, 2008 had the big single and was hit by pitch. He didn't look out of place at the plate and was fine in the outfield.

Lawrie and Bautista also pulled a great double steal. Brett stole second and when Saltalamacchia threw to second, Jose went ran home from 3rd.

Tomorrow we go for the series win. AL August Pitcher of the Month Ricky Romero (13-10, 2.97) goes up against the Sox and Andrew Miller (6-2, 5.27).