Make Your Predictions: Brett Lawrie

It was a great year for Brett Lawrie, if you overlook a couple of baseballs off the hand: one a pitched ball in Triple-A that broke a bone in his hand and a ground ball, in practice, that fractured a finger. If Brett had been called up at the start of the season, like many wanted, odds are he would have a Rookie of the Year award on his shelf. I'd have been happy too, we wouldn't have had to watch Jayson Nix.

The only real question we had about him, going in, was whether he could play defense at third. I don't know about you, but I thought he did a good job, showing good range. He is going to make some errors, but third is a reaction position with long throws, errors happen. Not that he played enough to make UZR numbers mean a lot, fangraphs has him at a 15.7 UZR/150, a very good number.

Year Age Tm Lg G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
2011 21 TOR-min AAA,A+ 73 340 300 64 104 24 6 18 62 13 2 26 54 .347 .414 .647 1.060
2011 21 TOR AL 43 171 150 26 44 8 4 9 25 7 1 16 31 .293 .373 .580 .953 152
Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table
Generated 1/16/2012.

The question for today is how he will do in 2012. Bill James guess is that he hits .284/.337/.495 with 22 home runs, 75 RBI and 30 stolen bases in 153 games. I like his guess.

I'll go 147 games, 24 home runs, 75 RBI, 25 stolen bases and a .280/.350/.500 line.

Your turn.