FanPost

Bautista's Future

Boring offseason time... I don't think there's much doubt that Bautista will play out at least most of his contract with the Jays, both because of his abilities and the PR hit the team would take trading him away. That being said, what would you do with him if you were the GM?

Currently, he's a top 5 hitter in baseball, but when is his peak? Probably this year or next at the latest, whereas the the rest of the Jays look to be peaking around 2014 (especially the young pitchers that are about to come up). With that in mind, would you favour trading him at peak value for top prospects or other pieces of the puzzle that look to peak at the same time? Or hold on to him for a smooth transition to an eventual replacement, be it Rasmus or Marisnick or Snider? Or do you disagree with my assessment of his peak?

Anyways, all just an interesting meaningless game to play while I procrastinate from studying for my exam.