FanPost

Big Pitching Contracts - Crowdsourcing

If you're reading this, hopefully you read my Fanshot on the value of big free agent postion players and extensions. I'm looking to do the same for pitchers, and the first step is to build a list. Since I realized that I missed a few hitters (as I figured inevitable), I'm looking to get some help thinking of as many pitchers as possible. I've cross-referenced against a lot of sources, but it's easy to miss them, particularly extensions.

My criteria right now is $50M+ guaranteed, I will probably tighten this to $60M+ but am interested in just getting a comprehensive list right now. Basically anyone from about 1998 onwards. Keep in mind, for the extensions it has to be primarily free agent years, that's why you don't see Verlander or King Felix. Here is my current list:

Free Agents (first year of contract):

  • Clemens (1997) - not $50M but AAV record at the time so it's significant
  • Kevin Brown (1999)
  • Mike Hampton (2001)
  • Mike Mussina (2001)
  • Chan Ho Park (2002)
  • Bartolo Colon (2004)
  • Pedro Martinez (2005)
  • AJ Burnett (2006)
  • Kevin Millwood (2006)
  • Gil Meche (2007)
  • Barry Zito (2007)
  • AJ Burnett (2009)
  • Ryan Dempster (2009)
  • Derek Lowe (2009)
  • CC Sabathia (2009)
  • John Lackey (2010)
  • Cliff Lee (2011)
  • Extensions (first free agent year of extension):

    There's definitely got to be some more extensions from 1998-07, but I'm drawing blanks.

    Please point out any omissions in the comments. I've probably leave this up for a couple days, then delete it once I've got my data set and am ready to put up the analysis. Thanks!