Darren Oliver Signing Official, Mark Teahen DFAed

ARLINGTON TX - OCTOBER 31: Darren Oliver #28 of the Texas Rangers pitches against the San Francisco Giants in Game Four of the 2010 MLB World Series at Rangers Ballpark in Arlington on October 31 2010 in Arlington Texas. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

The Toronto Blue Jays have officially signed 41-year old Darren Oliver to a one year contract for 2012 worth $4.0 million. The contract also includes a club option for $3.0 million in 2013, with a $0.5 million buyout. Darren's agent is former Jay Jeff Frye, who is probably best remembered for hitting a cycle on August 17, 2001. Coincidentally, the pitcher tagged for the loss in that game was none other than Darren Oliver, who started for the Texas Rangers. Darren was a modified type B free agent, meaning that the Jays will not need to forfeit any picks for this signing.

In order to free up a spot on the 40-man roster, veteran infielder/outfielder Mark Teahen (affectionately known around here as "Coffeecock") was designated for assignment. In his brief time in Toronto (27 games) he hit .190/.261/.286 over 47 plate apperances. He sent a nice parting note through his Twitter account:

BlueJays are a class org. Players & Coaches r great & Alex A is a man of his word. Excited 4 bigger role elsewhere but thankful 4 time n TO

I hope he finds a Major League team to play on next year and wish him all the best.

Thanks to highvoltagerob for posting his Fanshot.