Jays Gose Twins in Extra Innings

Tom Szczerbowski - Getty Images

Blue Jays 6, Twins 5 (10 innings) It didn't look very good for the Jays as the Twins bullpen stopped every Jays rally with a K from the 6th to the 8th.

Pinch Hitter Yan Gomes tied the game with a long two out solo home run off Twins reliever Glenn Perkins in the bottom of the 9th and send the game into extra innings.

Aaron Laffey's final start of the season turned out like most of his recent starts. He pitched 5 innings giving 8 hard hits (but it could have been more) including one really long home run to Trevor Plouffe and 3 earned runs (4 runs total.) Brett Cecil didn't do as well in his 2/3s of an inning of work, giving up a run on two hits. He was picked up by Brad Lincoln who struck 4 of the 5 batters he faced (filthy breaking stuff tonight.) The rest of the bullpen did well, but Brandon Lyons gave everyone a scare in the top of the 10th when he loaded the bases with one out, but stranded the runners by getting Drew Butera to pop up to 2B and striking out Pedro Florimon looking.

Adam Lind powered the Jays offense with four hits, 1 run and 2 RBIs. That is not a typo. He drove in the first run in the 1st with a two out hit and then doubled home Lawrie in the 7th before being pulled for a pinch runner.

Jeff Mathis drove in two runs with a two out double in the 6th with the bases loaded. Mathis? Yes, Jeff Mathis. Mathis and Lind both had clutch two out hits. No lie, I saw it happen.

It was 5-4 in the 9th when Yan hit the game tying pinch hit home run. It was the only mistake Twins closer Glen Perkins made in the 9th as he struck out the side.

In the bottom of the 10th, Adeiny Hechavarria lined a single to RF with one out off of loser Brian Duensing. Hech took 2B on a wild pitch. JP Arencibia pinch hit for Jeff Mathis in what would be a weird AB. JPA battled Duensing but Duensing struck him out on a wild pitch. JPA took off for 1st base and was hit in the head by an errant throw by Butera. Hech scored or so we thought. The home plate ump called JPA out for running outside the baseline. It was enough for Farrell to argue, lose his mind and get tossed out. According to the replay, the ump might have been right. Anthony Gose ended any anger towards the umps as he bounced a 1-2 pitch up the middle for the game winning hit. He was given what appeared to be a Red Bull Atomic Wedgie by Brett Lawrie for his heroics.

Jays of the Day Yan Gomes (.487), Adam Lind (.345), Anthony Gose (.273), Brandon Lyon (.147)

Suckage Jays of the Day: Rajai Davis (-.199), Yunel Escobar (-.174), Brett Cecil (-.102), Aaron Laffey (-.168)