The Boston Red Sox Have Hired Former Toronto Blue Jays Manager John Farrell

Tom Szczerbowski-US PRESSWIRE

Sean McAdam of Comcast Sportsnet have reported that he Boston Red Sox have hired former Toronto Blue Jays manager John Farrell as their new skipper.

The Boston Red Sox have reportedly signed former Toronto Blue Jays manager John Farrell to a multi-year contract to manage their team, according to a tweet by Comcast Sportsnet's Sean McAdam.

That the Boston Red Sox had wanted John Farrell to manage their team was not a secret ever since they dismissed Terry Francona on the last day of September 2011. Farrell was a well-regarded pitching coach for Boston from 2007 through 2010 before he left to become the 12th manager of the Blue Jays. Persistent rumours of them courting Farrell last offseason even prompted Blue Jays president Paul Beeston and general manager Alex Anthopoulos to enact a policy of not allowing club staff to make lateral moves within baseball.

More to come.

QUICK UPDATE: According to WEEI Red Sox beat writer Alex Speier, the Red Sox have signed John Farrell through 2015 and that compensation will be announced in the next few days.